Our company started life as a spin out from the University of York’s Green Chemistry Centre of Excellence. The name Starbon® was established in the early days of our work to add value to starch, which we carbonise to fix the structure and give our materials a longer shelf life.
We are now an independent business with a strong commercial focus. Our technology platform is under-pinned by rigorous academic research with IP and Registered TM owned by Starbons Ltd.
Our aspiration – to become the leading disruptive technology and products company in the field of Specialty Separations
Our patented technology is:
- Green: the production process avoids the use of harmful chemicals
- Sustainable: polysaccharides are widely available renewable resources
- Environmentally benign: products are biodegradable and non-toxic
What are Starbon® products? Starbons are mesoporous materials derived from biorenewable polysaccharides. The Starbon® materials that we produce from starch, alginic acid, and pectin have tuneable surface functionalities, and range from hydrophilic to hydrophobic, making them particularly effective for selectively separating one entity from another.
- High mesoporosity (up to 2.0 cm3/g)
- High surface areas (up to 700 m2/g)
- Controllable electrical conductivity
- Particulate and monolithic forms – Starbon® technology allows the production of Starene®, a carbon graphite composite monolith
We offer a customised technical service to tailor our Starbon® products to your needs. Talk to us about your separations! Take a look at our Case Studies.